Dry mouth can be annoying, uncomfortable and aggravating. It can also lead to serious problems such as gum disease, tooth decay and mouth infections. It can also make it hard to wear dentures. Saliva is necessary to keep your mouth clean and to moisten and help digest food. When your mouth fails to produce enough saliva, you can develop dry mouth. You may have dry mouth if:
- You have frequent thirst
- You have constant mouth sores and cracked lips
- You have a dry, sticky mouth and/or throat
- You have a feeling of tingling or burning
- You have a dry tongue
- You have bad breath
Numerous things may cause dry mouth, such as:
- Medication side effects
- Disease or infection side effects
- Medical treatment side effects
- An injury to the head or neck area resulting in nerve damage
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Constant breathing with your mouth open
The experienced and compassionate dentists Dr. Meredith Pogal and Dr. Paul Sussman will determine if there is a dental-related cause. We can also recommend treatments and help you get back on the path to optimum oral health.
If you think you have dry mouth, please call the experienced dentists Dr. Meredith Pogal and Dr. Paul Sussman at 585-227-4390 for a free consultation. Our dentists can determine the cause of your dry mouth and get your dental health back on track. We have been serving patients in Upstate New York for nearly 35 years.