Are you dissatisfied with the effect store-bought bleaching gels, strips, and toothpastes have had on your teeth? If you'd like a brighter smile that aggressively removes everyday staining agents, our Rochester cosmetic dentists can recommend several different teeth whitening systems.
To find out which teeth whitening treatment might work best for you, please call the office of Dr. Paul Sussman and Dr. Meredith Pogal today at 585-227-4390 to schedule your free consultation. Our dentists serve patients throughout the Rochester area.
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?
In-office teeth whitening involves the application of a smooth gel to the teeth. This gel contains an active whitening ingredient, such as hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. Because a cosmetic dentist will be present throughout your treatment session, chairside whitening solutions are formulated to be stronger than OTC products.
A whitening session at our Rochester office generally follows these steps:
- Your teeth are isolated from your gums and lips
- Our dentists apply the whitening gel to your teeth
- The whitening agent is activated, penetrating your tooth enamel to break up deep, stubborn stains
- In 45 minutes to an hour, your teeth can be brighter by eight to 10 shades
Many of our patients are familiar with the Zoom! teeth whitening system, which uses a comfortable, targeted LED light to activate a powerful bleaching solution. We are pleased to offer in-office treatment with Zoom! as well as Opalescence, along with convenient take-home kits for a custom smile touch-up.
During your free consultation, Dr. Pogal and Dr. Sussman will discuss the benefits of these whitening systems and which one might work best for you.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
The advantages of getting your teeth whitened by cosmetic dentists instead of with a product you purchased at the pharmacy don't end with a brighter smile. Key differences that separate professional in-office treatment from OTC options include:
- Custom treatment: Before your session, our dentists will identify your current and target teeth color on a shade guide
- Better results: Stronger formulation penetrate the enamel for better bleaching
- Reduced risk of teeth sensitivity: Potassium nitrate counteracts discomfort from sensitive teeth
- Safe for gums: Our dentists will carefully separate your teeth and soft tissue to avoid irritation
Take-home whitening kits tend to use a lower concentration whitening agent to avoid sensitivity or irritation. However, at-home solutions provided by a dentist still tend to be more effective than mass-produced items, particularly because Dr. Sussman and Dr. Pogal will create custom trays that fit your teeth like a mouth guard for optimal whitening results.
Our cosmetic dentists have devoted substantial time to identifying which teeth whitening solutions are most effective for enhancing our patients' smiles. To find out which treatment is right for you, please contact the office of Dr. Paul Sussman and Dr. Meredith Pogal or call 585-227-4390 today to schedule your free consultation at our office in Rochester.