Many people are afraid of visiting the dentist. If you’re anxious about an appointment, Rochester dentist Dr. Paul Sussman might be able to help you relax for treatment using sedation dentistry.
Sedation dentistry is a safe, effective solution for dental anxiety. Please call our Rochester dental office at 585-227-4390 to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Sussman to learn more.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Treatment with sedation dentistry involves the use of oral anti-anxiety medications to calm fearful patients so they can receive care comfortably. Dr. Sussman follows a safe, proven protocol developed by the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation (DOCS), a prominent sedation dentistry association of which he is a member.
Mild sedatives like diazepam (valium) or triazolam (Halcion) induce a strong sense of relaxation, though you won’t be totally asleep. While you are in this very, very relaxed state, Dr. Sussman can provide the treatment you need without triggering dental anxiety.
If Dr. Sussman asks you to open your mouth wider or move your head, you will be able to comply. Throughout treatment, our team will monitor vital signs very closely. In most cases, patients have no memory of procedures performed during the visit.
Is Sedation Dentistry Right for Me?
You might be a candidate for sedation if:
- You’re afraid of visiting the dentist
- You have a fear of needles or other aspects associated with dental treatment
- Your gag reflex is easily triggered
- You suffer from extreme tooth or gum sensitivity
- You’re nervous about pain during an upcoming procedure
- You have had bad experiences with dentistry in the past
An estimated 30% of the population is afraid of visiting the dentist. If you’re one of these people, your oral health could be at risk: Avoiding the dentist significantly increases the risk of developing severe gum disease, tooth decay, and other issues.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Patients who receive dental care under sedation are able to have a very positive experience while Dr. Sussman is restoring them to optimal dental health. Along with making it easier to get a healthy smile without stress, other advantages of sedation dentistry include:
- You will be comfortable throughout treatment
- No needles required to deliver the sedative
- Even extensive procedures will feel like they’re over in minutes
- Consciously experiencing dentistry means you can build comfort with dental treatment
To learn more about sedation dentistry, please contact the office of Dr. Paul Sussman and Dr. Meredith Pogal or call 585-227-4390 today to schedule your free consultation at our office in Rochester.