Posted: October 19, 2015
October. The temperatures begin to cool, leaves begin to change and kids excitedly plan their costumes for Halloween. October is also National Orthodintic Health month. Our Greece orthodontics practice would like to wish you a fun and safe Halloween, and offer some tips to help keep your family’s mouths strong, clean and healthy.
Candy is a traditional reward for braving the cold night, walking door-to-door, ringing the doorbell and in unison asking “Trick or Treat?” While kids hungrily eye those bowls full of candy, parents are wondering, what is the damage all that sugar will do to my children’s teeth?
Creating good habits before Halloween sets the precedent that dental care is a year-long regiment. Such regiments include:
- Eating a healthy diet- do not let your kids supplement Kit-Kats and Smarties for their chicken with broccoli
- Brush teeth twice daily
- Floss daily
- Maintain regular dentist visits; recommended cleanings are twice a year
We all know kids in Greece aren’t considering orthodontics when surveying all the sugary goodness they receive Halloween night. Some additional tips to help with dental care during this time are:
- Eat candy with meals or shortly after a meal
- Avoid hard candies that take a long time to dissolve in your mouth
- Avoid sticky candies and sweets like taffy and gummy bears
- Avoid drinks with added sugar such as soda, sports drinks, flavored waters
- Drink more water
- Chew sugarless gum for 20 minutes after meals or eating candy to clear away excess food and bacteria
If you live in the Greece area and are in need of orthodontics care, contact Dr. Paul Sussman and Dr. Meredith Pogal today online or at 585-227-4390 to schedule your consultation. With more than 30 years of dental practice experience, we are here to meet your child’s dental needs. We welcome patients from Rochester, Webster and surrounding areas of New York.